Friday, January 2, 2009

organizational skills!


it hits me every january....
the feeling to redo and reorganize everything in my life. i guess it's the freshness of the new year. a chance to maybe redo things in the house..... to make them even easier to get into, that i love. it hit me harder then ever this week. the need was so great that i even attempted what i have been putting off for years. we have a 30'X30' "shed" in our backyard. in fact, that was pretty much the biggest thing that sold me on this house. the lady who owned our home before used it as her studio where she made ice pageant costumes. after looking at the house i told brian i wanted it..... i would make the rest of the house work for our needs but i "needed" that building for all my many, many crafts! i was elated when we won the bid. i quickly began daydreaming while planning my marvelous dreams and ambitions for my soon to be little haven.
little did i know two months later i would be pregnant with levi, and life was going to kinda take over and there would never be enough time to make my space anything more then a dumping ground for items i couldn't find room for in our home. i have far too much money invested in my most favorite hobby, my first crafty love..... scrapbooking! i still buy all the new stuff when ever i see it and throw it into the abyss known as the shed in hopes that one day, it will strike my fancy and i will sit down and crop all my most favorite memories. sadly, it seriously has been years!
BUT...............................
about two weeks ago my friend alyson had the genius idea to make a family scrapbook doing it month by month every year. the hope is to make the time to sit down at the start of every month and scrap what has gone on the month prior. i quickly became enamored with the idea and decided that i, once and for all, would take the much needed effort to sit down and organize my shed into that dream place i had envisioned years ago.
yes, years have passed, and yes we keeping growing as a family, and yes we keep accumulating more and more stuff...... (in my eyes, far beyond what this home can possibly hold), and because of these little facts my shed can never be exactly what i had always envisioned it to be. we have far to much stuff! part of the space must be used to hold onto the things we don't use anymore but can't yet be trashed. however, it is now (after a full two days of huffing and puffing by both alyson and me) ready to sit down and scrapbook, sew, or do what ever crafty hobby finds me in the future!
all my stuff is labeled, color coded, and sorted out by categories..... i almost can't wait for january to be over, so that all the scapbooking begin!

2 comments:

meg said...

i'm so jealous!

Anonymous said...

When I move and my in laws move out I'm recruiting you to help organize adn make our upstairs and playroom/craft adn movie watching area!!
Becky