Sunday, January 4, 2009

munky....



ah, the things we do for our children... amaze me!
i'll start off by saying this, i do not like dogs! they shed, they smell, they lick, they require too much attention. they are just all around gross to me! brian, on the other hand, is and always has been very much a dog person. and yes, his love goes so deep for them that he even enjoys a good lick on his face! however, i warned brian before we ever got married of the whole disliking of dogs situation. i told him i didn't think i could EVER own a dog....EVER! either he truly loved me regardless of the fact, or he knew this day would one day come.... or possibly, a little of both!
for a few months now my mother has felt the need to buy someone.... ANYONE a dog. they got themselves a black lab about a year ago, and mom is just so in love with this animal. seriously, she refuses to allow anyone call it " a dog". it is like her 8th child, my brother, and her new best friend! it's funny because she never liked dogs while we were growing up, and i do believe that her dislike towards the critters led to most of her children's dislike towards them. and now, when i'm practically knocking on 30 myself she has up decided to own and fall head over heals in love with every dog that crosses her path. hmmm, an odd situation i do believe.
anyway, she was really wanting to get my sister one for their family. my nephew, well..... lets just say she thinks he is the type of boy who needs a dog. connie, however refused to get one for him. she promised my mother if a puppy was ever left on her door step, before it was all said and done my mother herself would be the new dog owner. so, i bet you can guess what happened next....
thats right! mother came knocking on my door. at first my response was the same as my sisters. don't want one, don't need one, refuse to get one. but then i began thinking more and more. and i came to the conclusion after one day seeing my little boy dragging a shoe lace string by his side telling everyone it was "his dog" that my children deserved the right to have a four legged doggy friend. and while my love for dogs my not be great, my love for my children far out weighs my disfavor for the doggy kingdom.


now, that long story brings us to munky....
after calling mother up giving her her long awaited good news, we began the search. the search for the right breed, the right look and the right dog to fit our family. after several long... tiresome conversations between my husband, my mother and my father we came up with the boston terrier. of all the dogs in the world, they have always been the least bit bothersome to me. i think perhaps i feel that they are just so stinking ugly, it makes them rather cute in a weird sorta way. and after reading up on them.... well, they are just great dogs to have around children. we found a breeder and arranged a time for mom, dad and i to go pick out the one we would call ours. there were two girls to choose from, and something the whole time we were there felt like the smallest of the two was meant to be "the one". i had hoped on calling her tayla, i took a quick snapshot picture of her and arranged a time that we would be getting her.... she was still far to young to come home.
the whole time i was at the breeders she kept calling our little tayla monkey.... later, brian looked at the picture of tayla and immediately said she looks like a monkey not even knowing that is what the breeder had been calling her.... and thus munky got her new name!

last night was her first moment home....
alivia was practically filled with glee dancing up and down the hallway as my mother brought tiny munky up the driveway to our door. both levi and livi followed her around the rest of the night, and kept picking her up hugging and kissing her. she had an instant connection to us. didn't cry at all, and went right to sleep last night in her bed. our tiny (2.75lb) doggy is a perfect fit.... so far!
so, i guess this means while i still do not consider myself a "dog person".... i am almost, and maybe one day soon will be a "munky person"!


1 comment:

Walking in the rain said...

she is stinkin' cute! i'll trade you :)