Sunday, December 7, 2008

1000 cookies




one of the many joys of my husband is that he has no concept of certain things. on friday night i had called him and asked for him to bring home baking ingredients from the restaurant, and bring them home he certainly did! no joke, i got 10lbs of flour, 10 lbs of every type of sugar you could think of (each), 40 cups of butter, and 48 eggs! what he thought i would be baking is beyond me, but i can definitely tell you i won't short out of flour for a very long time!
i called alyson early on saturday morning and cut her a deal.... if she came and helped me bake, she could have half of everything we made and get lunch and dinner on me out of the deal, which she graciously took! so, there we were at 10AM searching every web page looking for tasty holiday treats.
now we both have about 1000 cookies to munch on from now till christmas. and i will be sweeping sprinkles off my kitchen floor for months to come no doubt! what is it with kids and sprinkles? the thing that cracks me up the most about it is that even they won't eat a cookie with a small mountain of sprinkles yet they insist on piling it high on each and every one you let them do. it ended up being a very fun, yet very long day! levi was amused by all of it, and pretty much remained in the kitchen most of the day watching and helping in any way i would allow. maybe i have a future chef on my hands? it is in his blood you know!



sunday night is usually our family movie night, but brians parents got the kids a huge swing set for their house as one of the christmas gifts and they wanted them to come check it out tonight. it's such a cool thing to watch all four of the older kids play together. they have finally gotten to the age where they get along and play games together.... not just the side by side play. my neice maddy had brought several of her barbies. she is the same age as alivia, but she has an older sister so of course she usually plays with older girl things. it was funny to see alivia role playing along with the two girls. they would walk these barbie dolls around the coffee table as they played "school" with them. moriah would say "my name is moriah, what is yours?" to which alivia answered "i'm eeeahhh, one, two three, four... everyone count!". it kinda broke my heart to see my baby as a big girl! sniff, sniff.... but like brian said, i have nataley to baby now, still where did my baby girl go?
mary lou made a gingerbread village that the kids kept eyeing all night long. it was very cute, and i am somewhat surprised to see my mother-in-laws crafty side. she had a huge church and four small houses (moriah, levi, maddy, and alivia were written in frosting on each one), two tiny houses (garrett, and nataleys) and one bigger houses that said "mimi".... with a snowman grandpa! when i was talking to her she told me that she had spent over 40 hours this week making it, although it was frustrating, she had fun and wants to do one very year for the grandkids, until they are old enough to help make it too. it really was cute, and made the house look very festive.





2 comments:

Walking in the rain said...

that story of the ingredients cracks me up! i wish i could help you bake too :) your cookies look very yummy! and i'm quite impressed with the gingerbread village too, tell mary lou that i think it looks great! did you ever find your debit card?

Anonymous said...

At least he knew what baking ingrediants to bring...my husband would have only brought home half of what I needed!! Hope you get another debit card soon...I am trying not to spend when I'm out on my breaks but it is hard to pass up a good deal when you see it! I lost my debit card in the window of my car while I was waiting for my coffee..just playing with it, let go and it fell right down the crack the window goes up and down in!
Hope to see you guys soon!
Becky